This year’s Met Gala is happening on the 2nd of May. While waiting for the crazy red carpet looks from the most famous personalities, OpenCall Magazine reveals 5 the most interesting facts about the most famous costume event of the year.
- The Met Gala is organised each year in Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York to raise money for the Costume Institute. The Costume Institute has a collection of more than thirty-three thousand fashion objects from the fifteenth century to the present.
2. You can’t buy a ticket to attend the event. The Met Gala is by invitation only. Each paid seat reportedly costs around $35,000. Not everyone pays. Celebs, young designers and politicians are usually guests of big brands or the museum.
3. Vogue’s Anna Wintour has the final say over every invitation and attendee. Even though companies buy tables for the night, it seems that they still need Anna’s approval for each guest that is going to sit there.
4. The party dress code is usually themed to the exhibition. This year’s exhibition theme is “In America: An Anthology of Fashion,” which is the second of star curator Andrew Bolton’s two-part show exploring the roots of American style. (Part One was “In America: A Lexicon of Fashion”). The dress code is “gilded glamour.”
5. The red carpet is the party itself more than what happens inside. Everyone is interested in knowing who wore what (btw. do you remember last year Kim Kardashian’s appearance in a total Balenciaga black look covering her face?).